Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mundanity! (Part I in a series!)

Breakfast this morning:
  • one (1) kiwi, sliced and peeled. Usually I eat them with the skin on - to the amusement of my host family, who were slightly (but nicely) horrified when I reassured them that it was only a little like eating a mouse;
  • one (1) chunk of beyaz peynir, which is a crumbly soggy white cheese, a little like feta that never quite made it. It's an acquired taste. I didn't like it for a month or two after I got here; and
  • one (1) thimble-sized cup of Turkish coffee
It was a good meal.

Lunch:
  • one (1) tost - sort of grilled cheese, squashed into supermodel thinness by a Foreman-style grill. That's how you get grilled cheese here. It's pretty good. And I get "lite tost," because it's on whole-wheat bread. Yum.
  • one (1) cup ayran - a yogurt-based drink made by combining water, plain yogurt, and salt. I didn't like it until Lela made it for lunch once, and I've been a fan ever since. There's something about food prepared with intent and affection that can make the most repulsive grub taste wonderful.*
  • one (1) segment of a caramel chocolate bar.

Again: a good meal.

--

* Sorry, Dad: I love you to pieces, but all the love, affection, and bribery in the world will not prompt me to eat your pot roast. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.

No comments: