Saturday, November 15, 2008

Attack of the Killer Vegetables!

I think that Lela was amused, if not terribly surprised, when, having been sent to the corner market for bread and yogurt, I came back with bread, yogurt, the world’s largest cabbage, and a sheepish grin along the lines of “He followed me home. Can we keep him?”


Is this, or is this not, the most humongous cabbage you’ve ever seen in your life? You could play regulation basketball with this sucker. And they’re all like this. I vaguely recall a biology teacher attempting to convince small snot-nosed freshmen (including myself) that back umpteen million years ago, the Earth was richer in oxygen and things simply grew bigger: ferns the size of Douglas firs, turtles that could peer through a second-story window. I do vividly remember an illustration of a badger the size of a Ford Focus.

If these cabbages are any indication, monster badgers are just around the corner. Keep your eyes peeled.


This is Lela in the pictures, by the way. She's pretty awesome.

No comments: