Monday, December 22, 2008

On minor prejudices

The English department at my school is possibly one of the most multinational spaces I've ever frequented. About half the department is Turkish (or native, as we say). One would assume that the other half would be, well, English. Or American. Or Canadian. British?

One would be wrong.

There is, admittedly, one Canadian. An American teacher drops in occasionally, but she's not actually part of the English department; she teaches in the preschool. A Scottish couple also lurk around, but he teaches music and she teaches math; mostly they stop by to use the computers. No, the non-native faculty in the English department consists of teachers from Russia, Poland, Bulgaria, Canada, and Kosovo (formerly Yugoslavia).

This odd fellowship occasionally leads to equally odd conversations. Today, for instance: a perfectly friendly discussion of national prejudices.

Poland: So, are Americans as snobby as everyone says?
America (me): We're not snobby...just a bit isolated. And generally alarmed as we become less isolated. But I think we're getting better - I don't think we've tried to invade Canada for the last century or so...right, Canada?
Canada: I'm from Quebec, don't ask me about Canada.
America: Right, sorry. So, Poland - your little prejudices?
Poland: Oh, we hate the Russians.
Russia: Hey!
Poland: It's nothing personal, dear. We love you.
Russia: Thank you.
Poland: And the Germans. Poles aren't fans of Germans.
America: Sucks to be a buffer state, doesn't it?
Poland: Yes, it does. Would anyone like some coffee?
Canada (or Quebec): With sugar, please.
Russia: I don't think Russians hate anyone...
Poland: You've never been occupied. And you spent decades forcing my country into Communism. Kosovo, who do you hate?
Kosovo: Everyone. Has anyone seen my pen?*
Russia: I think it's by the computers. What about you, Bulgaria, who do you hate?
Bulgaria: (pause; quietly) Turks.

*Kosovo's bad mood was entirely justified in this instance. Due to Kosovo's declaration of independence from Yugoslavia in February of 2008, his residency permit in Turkiye is no longer valid. Until a new one is reissued, he can't leave the country, and therefore will not be spending Christmas with his family in Kosovo. I'm fairly sure that he - and Kosovo - don't actually hate anyone, although I imagine that his emotions toward Turkish customs officials are hardly warm and fuzzy at the moment.

No comments: