Sunday, October 5, 2008

In which a cake was successfully made!

I've been feeling rather cookish lately, which is like being peckish but with a desire to create attached. I found a recipe for "Dutch Apple Cake" on another blog, and apples are certainly available at the moment...and thus, I made a cake! (Yes, I'm surprised, too!)


It might be more correct to say that I improvised a cake. Host Family is rather (that is to say, totally) lacking in measuring implements, and my estimation skills are notoriously nonexistant, so I wound up finding two spoons of different sizes and designating one a "teaspoon" and the other a "tablespoon," and using a drinking glass as a measuring cup. Furthermore, proper oranges aren't available at the moment, so I used a mandarin instead, and the recipe didn't specify what sort of oil should be used. I wound up using what might have been sunflower oil; it was that or what I was pretty sure was olive oil, and I couldn't see that one working out at all. Oh, and I didn't have a "tube pan," and used a pie plate instead.

If you look closely at the recipe (you scrutinizing Internet detectives, you!), you'll notice that the cake cooks for quite a long time at a very high heat. This rather unnerved Host Mom, who checked it every ten minutes or so to make sure that I wasn't setting fire to her kitchen (I wasn't). The cake raw batter had a consistency rather like fresh cement, and I was sure that the final product was going to be better suited for projectile warfare than human consumption, but it ultimately turned out delightfully well:


Unfortunately, as it happens, I'm the only one in the house who likes Cake with Stuff in It - other members of the household found the apple chunks rather off-putting. But no matter; more for me, and I have a recipe for for double-chocolate brownies lying around here somewhere...

No comments: